Thursday, August 9, 2018

30 Days of Ukrainian Poetry - Day 9 - "Manifest"

It's Day 9. Today we have a short poem because I am getting to this task late in the day, exhausted, and could only convince myself to do it by getting into my PJs, making a cup of tea, and promising myself it would just be a short one.

I decided to venture back into the work of contemporary poets, and today's little poem is rather interesting because the author is perhaps better known as a political scientist than as a poet. A quick Google search of his name brings up interview clips and articles about such complex topics as the stalled peace process between Ukraine and Russia, or the work of Ukraine's anti-monopoly committee. I was actually doubting that he is the same person, but Wikipedia and a bit of Facebook-stalking seem to confirm that Maksym Rozumny the scholar-pundit is indeed the same person as Maksym Rozumny the poet. After all, his last name does literally mean "smart" or "intelligent", and he has the doctorate to live up to it.

Without further ado, here is a piece from a series of poems sorted by season. With it being August, this one, of course, is from the "summer" section.


Маніфест 

Максим Розумний

Не нам, занедбаним і хворим,
спіткати велич і співати хором,
зійдуть і згаснуть наші зоряниці,
і проминуть нас вороги і молодиці.

Маршрутом екзотичним
я вирушив із себе,
і буду лиш дотичним
дахів, садів і неба.

Manifest

Maksym Rozumny

It is not for us, the sick and neglected,
to sing in chorus or meet with greatness,
our stars will come up and burn out,
enemies and maidens will pass us.

By an exotic route
I from myself departed,
and will be only a tangent
of roofs, and sky, and gardens.


And with that little bit of deliriously-tired filming, I'm calling it a night. See you for Day 10!



Generic required blurb about this blog not representing any views except my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment