Saturday, August 18, 2018

30 Days of Ukrainian Poetry - Day 16 - "There where I am well"

Coming a little late here for Day 16, but that's life sometimes.

Of the poems I've featured on this blog, one of the most popular among those of you reading was Day 5: "I've lost my key" by Ivan Malkovych. So, I've decided to find another one by him to share. As I mentioned when first introducing his poetry, Ivan writes a lot about the Carpathian mountains in Western Ukraine.

A few key words are helpful in understanding this poem:

Chornohora: The tallest range of mountains in the Carpathians is known as Chornohora - meaning "black mountain". It includes famous peaks such as Hoverla  and Pip Ivan. I had quite an adventure climbing several peaks along this range this past spring, including Hoverla.

The lower parts of the mountains are covered in misty forest

Nearing the top of Hoverla, Ukraine's tallest peak. 

Hutsul: The Hutsuls are an ethnic group who have lived in the Carpathian mountains for a long, long time. Most Hutsuls live in Ukraine, although many Hutsuls also live in parts of the mountains that extend into Romania. There is a unique Hutsul dialect that you will hear if you travel in the mountains of Western Ukraine, and even a sturdy breed of Hutsul pony. Many Western Ukrainian traditions are deeply entwined with Hutsul ones.

On my first trek into the Carpathians last September, we went on horseback. According to our guide, this mare Gypsy was a Hutsul pony. 


So, knowing a bit more about the Carpathian mountains and the Hutsul people who live there, let's get to the poem!



Там де мені добре

Іван Малкович



Там
де  мені  добре  -
довкола  гори  -
невисокі  переважно
і  я  дуже  тяжко
прийшов  до  розуміння
що  невисокі  вони  тому  -
бо  ж  ростуть  углиб
(коріння  ясенів
подорожують  по  тих  горах)
Чорногори  глибин
ростуть  під  Карпатами

тепер  я  вже  знаю
яка  то  неправда
коли  ми  марнотно
складаємо  руки  померлим  —
бо  кожен  гуцул
після  відходу
ще  мусить  здолати
останню  свою
Чорногору  

There where I am well

Ivan Malkovych 



There
where I am well -
mountains are all around -
rather low ones
and I with difficulty
came to the understanding
that they are not tall because -
because they grow deep
(the roots of the ash trees
travel about these mountains)
Chornohora grows from deep
in the depths below the Carpathians

and now I know
what a lie it is
when we in vain
cross the hands of the dead over their heart -
because every Hutsul
after he departs
still must overcome
his final
Chornohora


The English is my own translation, and there are parts of it I am not sure of. If anybody has some suggestions, you are welcome to add them in the comments!





The contents of this blog reflect my views and experiences only and are not indicative of the views of Peace Corps or the governments of the US or Ukraine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment