Monday, August 13, 2018

30 Days of Ukrainian Poetry - Day 12 - "Do you know that you are a human?"

Day 12! Today I'd like to return to the work of Vasyl Symonenko, whose poetry I first featured on Day 8 of this 30-day challenge. The organization I work with has recently re-launched free walking tours of the city, and yesterday I went on our first one of the season. Vasyl's name came up when the tour came to a building where he had once worked for a newspaper. The guide told us about his prolific works and tragic, early death. Something about hearing his name come up in offline life after having found out about him online really struck me, and now that I know more about his connections to the community where I am serving, I'd like to dive into his work once again.


Selfie with a monument to Vasyl Symonenko

The poem I am sharing today is immensely popular. It is included in the standard 7th-grade Ukrainian literature curriculum, and it is easy to find recordings and even English translations of it. I like that the rhyme scheme is a little different than that of the other poems I've read so far; well suited to song, and indeed this poem has been sung. I think the sentiment is one that will resonate with many of us.

Fun fact: part of the text of today's poem is inscribed on the monument to Vasyl Symonenko in my city.





Ти знаєш, що ти – людина?

Василь Симоненко


Ти знаєш, що ти – людина?
Ти знаєш про це чи ні?
Усмішка твоя – єдина,
Мука твоя – єдина,
Очі твої – одні.

Більше тебе не буде.
Завтра на цій землі
Інші ходитимуть люди,
Інші кохатимуть люди –
Добрі, ласкаві й злі.

Сьогодні усе для тебе –
Озера, гаї, степи.
І жити спішити треба,
Кохати спішити треба –
Гляди ж не проспи!

Бо ти на землі – людина,
І хочеш того чи ні –
Усмішка твоя – єдина,
Мука твоя – єдина,
Очі твої – одні.

You know that you are a human… 

Vasyl Symonenko

Translated by Kyrylo Snizhko

You know that you are a human.
You know that, or do you not?
That smile of yours is unique to you,
That torment of yours is unique to you,
Your eyes no other person has got.

Tomorrow you won’t be here present.
Tomorrow on this blessed land
Others’ll be running and laughing,
Others’ll be feeling and loving;
Good people and bad ones, my friend.

Today all the world is for you:
Forests and hills, valleys deep.
So hurry to live, please, hurry!
So hurry to love, please, hurry!
Don’t miss out on it, don’t oversleep!

‘Cause you on this Earth are a human.
And whether you want it or not,
That smile of yours is unique to you,
That torment of yours is unique to you,
Your eyes no other person has got.

My only quips with the translation above are small ones: the first line wasn't left as a question, some extra words were added in the second stanza (probably because the translator wanted the syllables), and "go look!" was translated as "Don't miss out on it!". However, the translator did a much better job than I would on the rhyming and meter, and overall it is quite true to the original Ukrainian, so I figure it is better to share this translation than write another.

Now to the fun part - reading it!



There are a number of other readings of this poem on YouTube, and below is one of my favorites by renowned Ukrainian voice actor Mykhaylo Voychuk. He voices much of the Ukrainian dubbing for foreign films here.


And while we're at it, enjoy this musical version in all its cheesy, 1980's glory.



Here's to being a human on this planet! See you for Day 13.





A reminder that the content of this blog reflects my views and experiences only, and does not reflect the views of Peace Corps, or the US or Ukrainian governments. 

2 comments:

  1. гляди!, глядіть! also has a meaning "watch out" "be aware" So, I think the translation "don't miss..." is quite correct :) Cortney I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, thank you! Learning something every day, which is part of why I launched this project!

      Delete